A special guest-mix series where DJs are invited to create a soundtrack for tomorrow's days. Next up: Californian selector Floppy Disco coming through with his extraordinary finds for musical education purposes.
Every Mixed Feelings podcast is accompanied by a few questions that provide a little insight into the DJ and the mix they've prepared for us and for you.
Which feelings do we find bottled in this mix?
All kinds of feelings! My mixes tend to run the gamut when it comes to genres and styles. I'm the pilot that takes you on a musical journey in a flying jukebox, off the beaten path through the obscure 70s, 80s, 90s, and beyond!
What message does the music you play convey?
No message really, just a journey that I feel that is best interpreted by the listener. I have my own feelings that go up, down, and all around when I'm crafting a mix, but that might not always be conveyed in the final product. Nothing is ever planned and the tracks just follow each other magically.
How is the mix reflecting your current music taste?
I love all types of music and it'll show in most of my mixes. I find great pleasure in finding new tunes, whether they're old hidden gems, zany sounds, or current stuff. I like to scramble a lot of sounds and styles, mix them around and see what happens. It's like the old stone soup story. Things will taste/sound better with more ingredients, especially synthesizers, vocoder, and 808s.
Who should release a new album/EP already?
Too many options...maybe even me!
What's magical about music?
Everything! Music is life and a dialect that everyone speaks. It can make you sad, happy, dance your ass off, or make you feel things that you've never felt before. It’s aural sorcery.
What is your main source for finding new music?
All possible sources.
If the mix would be a soundtrack, what (kind of) movie/video/audio-visual content would support it best?
My mixes are already soundtracks to all the movies that play on endless loops in my head. If you can imagine a surreal scifi-space-western-action-adventure-fantasy-comedy, that's what 'The Lunar Saloon' (where I am the host) is all about. I've actually been working on movie ideas for years. 2023 might be the year that things will finally be released.
Thanks so much for the opportunity to provide a mix! If you like what you hear, you can visit my Soundcloud or check out my weekly radio show 'The Lunar Saloon', broadcasting from Long Beach, California. ENJOY!
1. I.A.O - Ferns
2. Hoshina Anniversary - Shonyudo 鍾乳洞
3. Pizzicato Five - ピース・ミュージック (Pease Pottage Mix)
4. Guy Skornik - Elise On the Run
5. Brazil By Music - Jingle Cruzeiro
6. Joutro Mundo - Pinturas feat Facchinetti
7. Ground & MAYUKo - Liquidanz
8. Michal Turtle - Uiko's Return To Jeka
9. Pellegrino - Zodyaco (Original Mix)
10. Sorcerer - Disco Drums
11. DJ Ray - Cozy Stepper
12. Tecwaa - Xentæh
13. Red Axes Cohen - Bump City (Radio Edit)
14. Miki - Csillagszemü Ég
15. Pop Will Eat Itself - Intergalactic Love Mission
16. Deux Control - Freaks
17. Donald's House - Trypno
18. Longhair - Night Rider
19. Jex Opolis Presents: In The Nite - Rimini Nites
20. Amin-Peck - Coda
21. Telex - Rendez-Vous Dans L'Espace
22. The Richard Hewson Orchestra - What Shall We Do When The Disco's Over? (Psychemagik edit)
23. Max B - Super Bwana
24. Bernardino - Sciummo (Unreleased Mix)
25. Patchworks Galactic Project - Gobblins Are Gone
26. Enterprise - Spaceship To Earth
27. Zodiac - The Other Side Of Heaven
28. Mauskovic Dance Band - Slow Crack
29. The Specials - Gangsters ('Clangsters' Dub)
30. Old Gang Jah - Rasta (Bernard Fevre's Black Devil Disco Dub)
31. Kazumi Watanabe - Walk - Don't Run,
32. Mackey Feary Band - Powerslide
33. Ozzy Osbourne - You're No Different
34. Endou Kenji (遠藤賢司) - 東京退屈男
35. General Lee and The Space Army Band - We Did it Baby (Part 1)
36. Seaquence - Oh Your Love
37. Hermeto Pascoal - Fabiola
Steppin' Into Tomorrow stands with artists & labels and encourages listeners to support them by buying their music directly from Bandcamp. If you've enjoyed this article, please consider subscribing to our monthly newsletter to stay in the loop.