A special guest-mix series where DJs are invited to create a soundtrack for tomorrow's days. Next up: Amsterdam-based free spirit Kay.
Every Mixed Feelings podcast is accompanied by a few questions that provide a little insight into the DJ and the mix they've prepared for us and for you.
Which feelings do we find bottled in this mix?
This time of the year and Valentine’s day, in particular, bring along all kinds of mixed and bittersweet feelings. I felt it’s only right to melt it down into one mix, which aims to capture the warm feeling of love, in its most universal form. Starting and ending with flowers. Essentially, it’s up for your own interpretation. Dedicated to you & me & anyone in-between. Happy Flowertines Day :)
What message does the music you play convey?
Love is the message.
How is the mix reflecting your current music taste?
You can hear some classics in the mix, a couple of soulful tunes from my record collection, mostly from the 70’s. I am a sucker for music that has shaped history, our culture today, and connecting the dots. Music that touches that special place in your heart and you know it when you feel it.
Who should release a new album/EP already?
What's magical about music?
Uff. Everything. As Bob Marley said, “One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain.”
What is your main source for finding new music?
Mainly friends, record stores & social media, but really everywhere.
If the mix would be a soundtrack, what (kind of) movie/video/audio-visual content would support it best?
I’m thinkin’ some poetic semi-animated comedy-drama-romance film/documentary. Sort of like 'An Oversimplification of Her Beauty', with Peanuts elements.
Big Love to the entire Steppin’ Fam, this MF space & everyone who’s tuning in. Hope the mix brings you comfort, makes you feel good, enjoy the music & love yourself <3 Let's connect, feel free to hit me up anytime.
1. Tarika Blue - Dreamflower
2. Bob James - Feel Like Makin Love
3. Smokey Robinson - Quiet Storm
4. Kool & The Gang - Sea Of Tranquility
5. Creative Source - You Can’t Hide Love
6. First Choice - Love & Happiness
7. The Isley Brothers - Footsteps In The Dark, Pts. 1 & 2
8. Charles Wright & The Watts 103rd Street Rhythm Band - Let’s Make Love Not War
9. Curtis Mayfield - The Makings of You
10. George Benson - Breezin’
11. Blackbyrds - Love Is Love
12. Donny Hathaway - Love, Love, Love
13. Marvin Gaye - I Wanna Be Where You Are
14. Unlimited Love Orchestra - Forever in Love
15. Stevie Wonder - Love’s In Need Of Love Today
16. Fatback Band - Love
17. Curtis Mayfield - Give Me Your Love (Love Song)
18. Burt Bacharach - The Look Of Love
19. Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness
20. Carla Thomas - What the World Needs Now
21. The Delfonics - Walk Right Up to the Sun
22. Aretha Franklin - Oh Me Oh My (I’m a Fool for You Baby)
23. L.T.D. - Love Ballad
24. Al Green - Simply Beautiful
25. Minnie Riperton - Les Fleur (FUG edit)